Thursday, April 19, 2007

Collective Suffering

How glad I am now of my pessimistic prediction two days ago! I had been mentally preparing myself for the temporary return of winter, thus, I was not plunged into grief when I saw snow outside my window this morning.

Dealing with the reality of it, however, was certainly no walk in a shady Parisian park!

The descent onto the High Level Bridge from 109 Street is a nightmare for pedestrians right now. The entire pavement is at the mercy of cars and trucks spraying filthy slushy water everywhere. And by the pavement, I mean me, and anyone else on it.

I took this part of the trip at a swift jog.

Then, even on the High Level Bridge itself, there are occasional patches where again, pedestrians must fear the automobile. An Edmonton transit bus damn near soaked me right through. However, I leaped aside like a mutilated gazelle, avoided the spray, and even embarrassment!

My right shoe is no longer impermeable, so that's a downer.

It is unfortunate that the city can't do a little more to improve the experience of crossing this bridge. A wall between the pavement and the road would help. If it were about three feet high, it would still give pedestrians a view, but protect them from the evil spray!

Upon further reflection, I've realized that a three-foot wall would block motorists' view of anything beside the road on the bridge. Hmmm. Is that really so problematic? If they want a view, maybe they can get the hell out of their cars!

No comments: